Seminar on the Poem
ASSIGNMENT 3- Seminar on the Poem
In addition to your previous research on the Statue of Liberty, Research the following:
The Colossus of Rhodes Statue.
Find a map with the locations that surround the Statue of Liberty.
Research the poem on line at http://www.sonnets.org/lazarus.htm#100
Prepare to discuss the following questions-
1. What do you think the overall message of the poem? How does it make you feel?
2. Compare and contrast the two statues: Liberty and the Colossus.
3. How physically does the old Colossus compare with the new Statue of Liberty?
4. In what ways is liberty both strong and “feminine”? What words convey her strength? What words convey her kindness? Would a male statue be a better choice?
5. The poet mentions Liberty’s torch, lips and eyes. What does each feature convey to us, as the poet describes them?
6. The statue stands in the harbor between the twin cities of Brooklyn, then a separate city, and New York bridging the waters between the old world and the new. What does she want from the old world? What does she reject? What does she offer to the immigrants?
7. Lazarus gives the statue a new name. What is it? Who are the exiles? What is her relationship to them?
8. Lazarus’ poem is a sonnet? What is a sonnet? Do you think this formal structure has any effect on the reader or listener?
9. Do you think this poem was a good choice to engrave at the base of the statue? Explain.
10. Do you think this statue is an appropriate symbol for “freedom” ? Why or why not?
11. Do you have any monument or statue in your country that is a national treasure to your people? Describe it.